Depending on where you may live and how frequently you use your grill, it is possible that you may see mold growth in a ceramic cooker.  Don’t worry this does not ruin your kamado and is a fixable issue as you can burn off and kill the mold.

Mold growth in a kamado grill can occur due to several reasons, including:

  • Moisture buildup: If the grill is not properly cleaned and dried after use, moisture can build up inside the grill, creating a damp environment that is conducive to mold growth.
  • Food debris: Food particles left inside the grill can attract mold spores and create a breeding ground for mold growth.
  • Poor ventilation: Poor ventilation can cause moisture to accumulate inside the grill, promoting mold growth.
  • Lack of use: If the grill is not used frequently, moisture can accumulate inside the grill, promoting mold growth.

Here are a few tips on how to reduce the chances of this occurring to your grill. 

  • Vary your cooking temperatures: To prevent mold growth in a kamado grill, it’s important to keep the grill clean and dry after use, store it in a dry place, and use it frequently to prevent moisture buildup. If you are doing a lot of low and slow cooks, we recommend mixing it up from time to time and doing a high-temperature cook to help dry up the cooker and drive out any moisture that may have accumulated in the cooker. 
  • The cooking grill is often the culprit: One of the best ways to prevent mold growth in a kamado, especially if it will not be used for months to come, is to remove the cooking grill itself from the kamado after each cook.  Usually, there is food debris left over if it hasn’t been cleaned off and this can provide a food source for mold. 
  • Storage for long periods: Depending on where you live you may be storing and putting away your kamado for the winter.  We recommend doing a Burn Clean Procedure before storing the grill if it will not be cooked for months.  The same goes for the first time you bring it back into use.  This will ensure everything burns off before you put food on the grill.  Do NOT use bleach or other cleaning products. It adds an unpleasant taste to food.
  • Regular Cleaning: Regular cleaning and maintenance of the grill can help prevent mold growth and ensure that it is safe to use for cooking. If you do notice any signs of mold growth in your grill, it’s important to clean it as soon as possible to prevent it from spreading and potentially contaminating your food.