|Apple Smoked Chicken||
Recipe Type: Main
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours
For this entrĂ©e, a combination of cooking methods are used. The chicken will be slow smoked with apple wood in a Grill Dome ceramic cooker but will also be held in â€śBusterâ€™s Drunk Chicken Roostâ€ť to keep it moist and flavorful. Instead of beer for the â€śbeer canâ€ť chicken, apple juice is used. A BBQ Guru competitor regulates the cookerâ€™s temperature.
- 1 (5 to 7 lb) Perdue Oven Stuffer Roaster Chicken
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Cup Apple Wood chips, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 3 Cup Apple Juice or Apple Cider
- 1 Batch Chicken Rub (Link)
- Remove neck and giblets from the chicken, reserve for sauce or stock. Remove the pop-up thermometer and discard. Remove and discard the fat just inside the body and neck cavities. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water, drain, and dry with paper towels.
- (Remember this is poultry so be sure to thoroughly wash and sanitize your hands, utensils, and cutting boards after preparing the chicken.)
- Rub the chicken with a light coating of olive oil. Sprinkle 1 Â˝ tablespoons of the rub inside the body and neck cavities of the chicken. Rub the outside of the chicken with another 1 Â˝ to 2 tablespoons of the rub.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 1 hour. Prepare the Grill Dome for 275 degree F. indirect smoking. When the temperature has stabilized, add a handful or two of the drained apple wood chips to the coals. (Depending on your cooker, regulating the temperature may take 30 to 45 minutes so plan accordingly.
- (If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center and bank the coals on both sides. If using a gas grill, place the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat the grill to high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium on one burner turning the other burner(s) off. Place the chicken over the burner that is off.
- My Grill Dome ET is equipped with the BBQ Guru Competitor so controlling the temperature is simplified. Set the meat thermometer to 175 degrees F. and the pit thermometer to 275 degrees F. and the Guru will cycle the power draft on and off to maintain the desired temperature.
- Open and drink a can of beer. Make two additional holes at the top of the can with a bottle opener and fill the can half full with apple juice or cider. Add any remaining rub to the can. Place the can in the chicken roost and place the chicken, body cavity down, onto the can.
- Place the chicken in the center of the cooking grate, close the cover and cook for 1 hour. After 1 hour, spray the chicken with apple juice or cider and continue cooking another hour. Spray again and continue cooking until the chicken thigh has an internal temperature of 175 degrees F., about another 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the chicken. (The chicken will take about 25 to 30 minutes per pound to fully cook.)
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving the meat.
Recipe Submitted by: Mike Stines www.CapeCodBBQ.com
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe